Preventing Pigeon Infestation and Damage, Part 1
When many people hear the term “pest control” or “exterminator,” they tend to naturally think of insects and other crawlers – these are some of the most common and copious pests, after all. But they also aren’t the only creatures that can pose risks to your health and structures, and there are several others that are of larger size as well.
At A-1 Exterminators, we’re here to tell you about one such area you may not have considered, and one we’re happy to provide services in for both commercial and residential needs: Pigeons. These birds and their related species may seem cute at times, but they can be harmful to both structures and health and safety areas. In this multi-part blog, we’ll go over everything you need to know about pigeons – why they’re a potential issue on your property, some of the options available to you for getting rid of them, and which is the right choice for you.
The Problems Pigeons Cause
Pigeons are known as the single most populous pest bird in all of North America, creating huge amounts of damage and resulting cost. One of the key factors in this damage is their droppings – these contain high quantities of uric acid, a corrosive substance that can eat into structures. Here are some of the other specific problem areas often instigated by pigeons:
- Water damage: Over time. Pigeons will collect in flocks on building roofs. They’ll collect large amounts of debris, which will slowly clog gutters and drains and create water damage issues.
- Hazardous surfaces: Not only do pigeon droppings contain corrosive acid, they also can lead to slip-and-fall risks.
- Health concerns: Pigeon droppings may also contain everything from bacteria and fungus to ectoparasites, all of which can threaten human health.
- Rooftop components: AC units and other rooftop pieces can undergo major damage.
Various Solution Options
There are a few options when it comes to preventing pigeons from invading your property, and we recommend deterrents first and foremost. These are products that will encourage pigeons to go elsewhere – they’re very homely and instinctual creatures, drawn back to the same locations over and over, but you can help take them out of this cycle. Some of the products on the market that accomplish this include:
- Netting products physically block pigeons
- Spikes or coils can do much of the same
- We are licensed to provide Bird Barrier’s Optical Gel product, a multi-sensory repellent that stays out of sight and deters birds using their senses (more on this later in our series)
- Electrical shocks
- Reproductive control systems
Choosing the Proper Solution
When choosing between possible pigeon solutions, there are a couple important factors to consider:
- Nesting level: How heavily have pigeons attached themselves to your property? Are they very comfortable and clearly nested? Or are they only appearing occasionally, not eating nearby and then leaving?
- Structures affected: What you do to prevent pigeon presence may depend in large part on which structures they’re roosting on. Our pros can tell you more here.
For more on preventing pigeons from damaging your property, or to learn about any of our pest control or exterminator services, speak to the pros at A-1 Exterminators today.